Rajma chawal is a simple yet delicious meal. Rajma is rich and iron and protein when it is combined with rice it is a great source of carbohydrates. So it makes a wholesome meal. It is great meal for kids lunch box too as it one of the favorite dish among the kids.
- 1 cup red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger (grated)
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (grated)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
Ingredients for rice
- 1 cup rice
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
How to make rajma chawal:
Method for making Rajma:
- Take a pan, add 3 cups of water along with soaked kidney beans and a pinch of salt. Cook for 20 to 30 minute till the beans is soft and tender.
- Take a small bowl add all the spices, chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix all the spices well.
- Take a kadai, heat oil in it. Add the chopped onions; cook for 7-8 minute until onions turns golden brown in color.
- Add the garlic and green chili, cook for a minute.
Then add ginger and tomatoes and the spice mixture from the bowl.
- Cook for 7-8 minute till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the cooked rajma along with butter and one cup of water.
- Let it cook for 30 minutes on the low flame.(if the rajma is cooked for more time it becomes more tastier as all the spices gets into it).
- Take it out in a serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with plain rice.
Method for making rice
- Wash the rice properly and keep aside.
- Take a pan, add water to it. Let it boil.
- When water starts to boil, add rice and salt. Cook for 15 minute and then reduce the heat let it cook till the rice in completely soft but not mushy.
- Switch off the heat and drain the starch water by pouring the rice and water over colander.
Transfer the rice in a bowL.