- This dish is a favorite dish for breakfast or as a light snack in different parts of India.This dish is dedicated to my mom as she would often prepare this dish as a special snack for guests to be served with tea .
Flattened rice (also called beaten rice) is a dehusked rice which is flattened into flat light dry flakes.They are most famously known as “Pohe” in malwa region, also they are considered to be originated in the malwa region itself. These flakes of rice swell when added to liquid, whether hot or cold, as they absorb water, milk or any other liquids. The thicknesses of these flakes vary between almost translucently thin (the more expensive varieties) to nearly four times thicker than a normal rice grain.
- While tempering you can add peanuts too.
- Make sure you switch off and then add lemon juice else there are chances for the upma to become bitter.
- Instead of green chilies, you can add red chilies too.
- If you are using the thin variety of poha soak just for 2mins else it will become mushy.
This upma is ideal for snack time esp for kids.
You may also like the recipe for Punjabi_kadi.